Thursday, November 08, 2007

GoBall

Me and T

Well, today I finally decided that I HAD to make time to go visit my friend Tara. Tara sustained a severe spinal injury during one of our races on September 1st. She has been paralyzed from the waist down ever since the accident. Currently she is at Craig Rehab Hospital here in Denver. A series of events have prevented me from being able to see her before today. I decided to take the day off of school (warranted in my opinion, since I put in 16 hours yesterday and was there until 2:30!!) Anyway, she had called me yesterday and told me that they would be playing GoBall today instead of on Friday when I was originally planning to go down.
Before the Big Game
Getting some pregame lessons

I got there around 3:00 and waited for her to get there from one of her other classes. They have her moving around to different classes like crazy all day! It makes me tired just to hear her describe her day! Anyway, she rolled in and looked green! She has been having some days where she doesn't feel well at all and gets really nauseated. Wednesday was one of those days. She was pretty green when she go to the gym, and I was perfectly content to just hang outside with her or something, but she insisted that we play GoBall! She is such a competitive spirit, I know she will beat this like no "normal" person could do!

Anyway, we got me all lined up in a wheel chair so I could play with them, and man oh man, was I in for a treat. I thought it would be just fun and games. WRONG! These people are serious! If you have the ball, watch out. People will ram their chairs into yours to try to make the ball fall out of your lap so they can grab it. It is intense! And it's A LOT of work. 1 hour of wheeling my fat ass around, and I was exhausted! Also, I have several blisters on my thumbs and hand from the wheels. I guess I should have brought by gloves!

I was getting half decent at getting myself around after an hour

Well, of course mine and T's team won, I think it was 5-2. I stayed for about another hour to visit with T, and then she had a bunch of things she needed to take care of this evening, and I was off to Casa Bonita with some DH friends and a friend who was in town and had never been. As usual, the food makes you feel a a little sick when you're done, and the sopapillas were good. Joey killed Ski Ball, TJ stomped out the spiders like it was his job, Rudy did his best with his one good arm, Brian was, well, Brian, and I set the game high on the Ms. Pac Man game that was on Speed! Good time, good times, and a belly ache to send me to bed! haha Hopefully sleep will come quickly for me and not be plagued with torturous, tiring dreams!

Ski Ball!! (with free tokens, even better!)

P.S. If you're so inclined and have the means to donate money, the link on Tara's name above is to a page where you can donate to her recovery fund. As I was sitting with her today, the astronomical amount of money that it must cost ever hour each day for her to be able to receive the care she is getting is dumbfounding.

No comments: