Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stem Cells Doing Their Jobs, Finally!

It's been a long time in the process of trying to get my stem cells to differentiate into osteoblasts (bone cells) and start producing bone matrix, but I think I've finally figured out how to do it in my tissue engineering system...

Stem cells differentiated into bone cells producing osteonectin (red)

I still need to do a few more studies to verify a few more things, but things are looking good on the bone side of things for my PhD project...now I just need to get the cartilage side of things to start working!! In hindsight, I can't believe I picked a project trying to engineer three different types of tissue...ONE is hard enough! haha I am always up for a good challenge, though, so...hopefully it all works out well in the end!

No comments: