Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Solo South American Adventure: Part 2

I wonder what happens during the rainy season?
Welcome to the jungle!
Sunday May 5, 2013: La Paz/Rurrenabaque
Wow, I have been so, so tired ever since I got here! 3 nights in a row asleep by 9:00 p.m.,  totally not my style! Each night I have woken up at 1:10 a.m. only to lay awake for awhile before falling back asleep. I’ve been getting nearly 10 hours of sleep every night. I don’t know if it’s the altitude or if I am just this run down. Either way, I’ll take it. I'm off to the jungle later today with my flight at 3:00 p.m. to Rurrenabaque, the setting off town for the Bolivian jungle. Man am I ready to get out of the city!

Well, only 5 days after arrival, I have finally experienced my first cluster f^&*! When I was purchasing my plane tickets to Rurrenabaque, I specifically asked if the T.A.M. (Transporte Aero Militar) flight left from the military airport, as I had remembered reading that they might at some point in my extensive trip researching. The travel agent assured me that, no, it left from the regular La Paz International airport. Given that the ticket she printed off for me was in ~6 point font, I didn’t notice the “military” notation on the ticket. Okay, off to the airport, 60 Bs. Arrive, try to check in at the TAM desk, and...of course, nope, at the wrong airport!! Nice. Another taxi ride away, 50 Bs, with a not very friendly kid who looked about 15. The traffic in the rest of La Paz had been very light given that it was a Sunday, however we must have had to drive through some sort of a 4x4 car show street festival to get to the airport, and it wasn’t quick!! Luckily, I arrived ~4 minutes before the gate “closed”, although this is the only flight leaving from this airport and you don’t even have to go through security, so I would think that they might be able to bend the 1 hr rules a little bit! It seems that the flight is mostly full of other dirtbag travelers heading to the jungle for $27 cheaper than the other flight option! Here we go...hopefully the people on the Rurre end got the email to pick me up at the airport!

Mario and the moto taxi stand

Even though our flight was 45 minutes late (for a 40 minute flight!) Mario from Chalalan was waiting for me when I arrived and coordinated the transport for me into Rurrenabaque. Unfortunately I didn’t get to go on the moto taxi, which seemed to be the preferred norm rather than the exception. The roads were “paved” with ~6-8 inch stones, which provided for a bumpy ride! The airport was the most rustic airport I have ever landed at! The taxiway wasn’t even paved.

Oh, how could I forget the flight from La Paz? Flying over the Andes really was breathtaking and then watching as the scenery changed from 20,000+ ft mountains to lush green rainforest was really remarkable! Once we landed in Rurre, I felt like I wished I’d arrived sooner and wished I was staying longer! Driving into town there were chickens running around all over the place, and that definitely felt way more at home to me than being in the city!

Rurre is a funny town. It’s about 15,000 people and it sits right at the edge of the rainforest/jungle and the pampas. So, basically, if you go on a jungle tour, you head south, up the river, and if you go on a pampas tour, you head north, down the river. Everyone in town pretty much rides motorcycles. There were very, very few cars, and it seemed like ~10 years old was old enough to be riding a motorcycle through town!

Ripe star fruit...all you can eat!
Mario made sure that I got all registered for the trip and then made sure that I got checked into the hotel and that my room was all okay. The room was very, very basic, but the courtyard of the hotel more than made up for the room! It had a beautiful mosaic tiled walkway with 5 hammocks and a couple of sky chairs. The plats and trees were amazing with a star fruit tree that had fruit perfectly ripe...all you can eat! 

For dinner, Mario recommended Moskitos. I’m not sure if he thought that I was closer to 20 rather than 5 years from 40 or what, but when I walked in, I was immediately skeptical! It looked like a beach bum surfer bar in Hawaii! After I sat down and ordered, I realized that I was one of very few people in there 1.) not ordering frozen mixed drinks, 2.) over 20, and 3.) not from Australia! I did not have high hopes for my meal, that’s for sure. I drank my not nice beer and snacked on delicious banana chips whilst taking in the sport highlights on ESPN all whilst rolling my eyes at the ridiculousness of the gap year Ozzies all around me! My dinner arrived, peppered steak with steamed veggies and fries. Holy shit, it was honestly one of the most delicious steaks I have ever eaten, and it was only £4.50! I do feel bad for anyone ordering it who prefers steak more done than medium rare, though!

After dinner, I decided to call it a night, as we had an early 7:00 a.m. start planned. It was about 80º (30ºC) and super humid, which made for some hot and sticky sleeping, for sure! About 10:30, one of the most intense rainstorms I’ve ever experienced started! The amplification from the tin roof made it ever more crazy, but the wind was blowing so hard that I thought said roof was about to come off! Needless to say, the storm took out the power, which meant no fan...so the unpleasant sleeping level went sky high! At about 3:00, loads of the many, many dogs in town all decided to start howling and barking. I didn’t get much sleep, that’s for sure, but I did start to work out my business plan for a Scotland based Colorado/Utah cycling guiding company in my during the sleepless hours!

Bolivian portion of the Amazon Basin

Monday May 6, 2013: Rurrenabaque/Jungle (Chalalan)
I woke up in the morning expecting the remnants of a flood! Nope, the ground barely looked like it had lashed it down for hours on end the night before! I made my way to our less than stellar breakfast where I met 3 of the other 4 people going on the trip. 2 of them were feeling quite ill after a night of throwing up from eating something dodgy for dinner! I couldn’t imagine wanting to get on a tiny little boat for 6 hours after a night of puking, but luckily I felt fine! Our guide, Nelson, was there to meet us at 7:30 on the dot, and we headed to the office to get started. Our 5th person in the party was late, so we left and taxied across the river to the Madidi Nation Parque headquarters to check in and pay our park entrance fee, 95Bs (~$14). Then we headed back to go get Bruno, our 5th and latecomer. The group is Elena from Germany but with a Bolivan father, Mathew and Claire from Sheffield who have been traveling the world for the last 9 months with 3 months to go and Bruno from Toulousse, France.

6 hour water taxi ride up the river
We headed down the River Beni in our right leaning boat which was a little bit disconcerting given that the water was only about 3 inches from the top of the sides of the boat. But I decided that these guys do this all of the time, so it must be fine! After a little while we turned off of the Beni and onto a (barely) smaller tributary river whish was the one that led to the lodge.

Swimming capybara, the largest rodent in the world
We started to see some cool wildlife (list of everything I saw to come) and the views around us were just gorgeous. There were amazing cottony cloud formations in the otherwise perfectly blue skies. After about 3 hours, we stopped for a lunch “snack” where we were treated to a warm welcome by the sand flies. :( After about 30 minutes, we carried on for the remaining 1.5 hours up the river.

The beautiful lake that the Chalalan Lodge sits next to
Many hiking options to explore the amazing jungle

We finally arrived to several people waiting on the shore to help us unload our gear and the supplies. We had a 2 km walk along the Jaguar trail to reach the lodge which sits right on the edge of a beautiful little lake. We were immediately greeted by the lodge manager who had fresh grapefruit juice waiting for us. Service with a smile here at Chalalan Lodge! We had a short break to check into our cabins and then it was time for lunch, steamed carrots and parsnips with a delicious steak kebab, oh and a spinach omelet for starters. There was guava drizzled with honey for desert...delish! After that, we had a little break before meeting at 4:00 to go on a short walk around the lake and then a canoe ride to look for animals on the lakeshore.

The AMAZING walking tree
Nelson shared many interesting facts about the different trees and mushrooms that we encountered all whilst fervently waving the spider web stick catcher in front of him as we walked. The coolest tree we encountered was a walking tree that extends its roots 4-6 feet above the ground. This allows the tree to move up to a meter (3.3 feet) each year in search of more sunlight! We crossed over the path of a hard working leaf cutter ant colony. You could see where they had completely destroyed the foliage around their colony and now had to have the super highway to bring back leaves from plants far away. Apparently they use the leaves as mulch/compost to create an environment that grows the mushrooms that they eat, al underground in their colonies. Very cool!

The tree's natural protection against pesky climbing monkeys
Such amazing roots! They are shallow so have to extend
like this to support such a large tree.
Such a cool plant growing on the tree, it almost
looks as if the leaves are painted on!
In the afternoon we went on a short walk around the lake where we saw many cool trees, etc...From the other side of the lake, we got in a canoe and started to canoe along the shoreline looking for birds and monkeys. We saw several cool birds and at ~5:30, right on the promised cue time, the monkeys showed up!! Nelson heard some wild pigs as well, so we got out and started looking for them. They stink like none other, so we knew they were close, but it felt like we were trying to be “Vewy vewy quiet,” as it seemed like we were hunting “wabbits”! We found the pigs in the end. They’re black with some white on their faces and weigh about 60 kgs (150 pounds).



After that it was back to the canoe to watch the squirrel monkey feeding frenzy. They are super cute little yellow monkeys that just launch themselves from branch to branch to get close to the water to eat bugs and some fruit off of the trees. It was absolutely amazing to watch them!! They put on a brilliant show for about 30-40 minutes. It is honestly one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in the wild!

Looking for caiman from the canoe with our flashlights at night

After that adventure we came back for an amazing dinner. Pumpkin soup followed by mustard chicken, mashed potatoes, and beet root with delicious flan for pudding! I was in heaven. After dinner, we got back in the boat to go looking for Caiman...creatures sort of like alligators and crocs. Bolivia/S. America only has Caiman not alligators or crocs. We took our flashlights to see their eyes shining just above the water, which is a little bit creepy when you’re in a boat that sits directly in the water! Before we found any Caiman, we spotted some eyes in a tree on the shore, and it turned out to be a tiny pygmy owl. After that, we ended up finding 3 Caiman, 1 of which put on a really good show for us to take pictures, which really just means it held perfectly still whilst our flashes blinded it repeatedly! After that, it was back to camp and turn in for an early night of some of the best sleep I have had for months! 9:50-4:00 without stirring and then there was something ramming around the trees outside that woke me up! After that, back to sleep for 2 more hours till 6:30! Ah, so peaceful when nature is the only sound coming in through the screen!

Animal/Plant List (seen in the jungle)

Birds
White ekoe
Geese
Black vulture
Turkey vulture
King fisher
Blue heron eating a fish
Red and green macaw
Blue and yellow macaw
Toucans
Parakeets
Parrots
Hoatzin
Pygmy Owl
White hawk
Humming birds

Mammals
Capybara
Wild pigs
Squirrel monkeys
Capuchin monkeys
Red howler monkeys

Amphibians/Fish/Reptiles
Caiman
Lizards/Gecko
Red snake
Amazon tree frog
Suriname toad
Piranhas

Others
 Leaf cutter ants
Bullet ants
Army ants
Little red ants
Loads of beautiful butterflies
Lots of cool dragonflies
Golden silk spider

Lots of random spiders

Tuesday May 7, 2013: Jungle (Chalalan)
7:30 brekkie, and of course they did not disappoint! There was a large buffet selection of both sweet and savory items including these delicious “donuts” which I think had cheese in them...not sure, but delicious either way!

Then we were off on a 4-hour tramp through the rainforest to see what we could see. Fortunately, or unfortunately, as we later decided as a group, we saw a lot of wild pigs. They are pretty cool and make a lot of cool sounds and noises, but holy shit do they stink!! We ended up seeing several Macaws, which are beautiful, but really high up at the top of the canopy, so they’re actually really hard to see! I think the highlight of the morning for me was getting to hear all of Nelson’s stories about all of the different plants and how so many of them have medicinal properties, especially for his village where they still have a Shaman who accts as the Dr. and prescribes different plant and herbal remedies. In the end we learned about plants used for anemia, stomach parasites, toothaches/Novocain-like properties, and colds/decongestant, just to name a few. Additionally, there was the garlic tree and the tree whose sap is used for “perfume”. I thought it smelled delicious, sort of like Snickerdoodle cookies. 

I love dragonflies...especially red ones!! :)
After our pleasant morning walk we had another delicious lunch of grilled flank steak with pineapple, beans, carrots, and quinoa with mixed fruit for desert.  We got a short break in the afternoon and then took another boat journey across the lake to hike up to the lookout points to see the amazing views and then onto the afternoon monkey show, Part 2! This day we were treated to a wider area of monkey activity and mostly Capuchins with a few Squirrel Monkeys thrown in for good measure. This would never get old!! Oh, and we saw a few daytime views of Caiman as well.

In the evening we were treated to an amazing Traditional dinner for the Ketchewa people of the village that the Chalalan group come from. Their traditional dish is catfish prepared by wrapping it in banana leaves and steaming it. I was a little hesitant, as I’ve never really liked catfish before, but it was absolutely delicious! The meat was thick like a steak and so tasty!

That evening we planned to go on a night hike to look for tarantulas and hopefully NOT see any snakes! I really wanted to see the tarantulas, so I decided to go. The 1st thing that we saw was on Amazon tree frog, which was very cool. Unfortunately, the next thing we saw was a bright orange “baby” snake which apparently grows up to be black and is very friendly...I wasn’t happy about that find and then was scared to death afterwards with  my heart rate completely pinned! We eventually saw a tarantula, only very briefly, but it was still very cool. The coolest thing we saw, though, was a Suriname Toad. They almost look like a horseshoe crab in shape with hand-like features in the front and giant webbed feet in the back.

Wednesday May 8, 2013: Jungle (Chalalan)/ Rurrenabaque

Nelson, our entertaining and informative guide...also quite
adept at rowing the canoe all over the place!
Unfortunately, this was to be my last day at Chalalan. Because I had initially inquired about going to the Piranha Lake to hopefully see some piranhas, Nelson inquired if Elena (the other girl leaving this day as well) and I would want to leave early, take a packed lunch and stop at the Piranha Lake on our way back to Rurrenabaque? Going by way of the river made it a 30 minute round trip walk to get to the lake instead of 8 hours from the lodge! I could not have been happier. We packed up, said our goodbyes and headed down the river for ~20 minutes. We pulled over and hiked up to the lake. There is a very tiny “community” of people who live near the huge lake and farm coffee beans. Also, there is a huge population of yellow and blue Macaws which live around the area, ~30 or so.  I think that the next step for the Chalalan project is to build a lodge at this site and offer mixed night experiences at the two lodges for people.

Steak on a hook, toss the line in and wait for a nibble
First one to catch a piranha!

They will literally take your fingers off with those teeth!

We headed down to the lake to start bailing all of the rainwater out of the canoe and then we were off in search of a good spot to fish for piranhas! We stopped at a place that Nelson thought would be good and tossed some bloody steak onto our hooks and then threw our lines in and crossed our fingers! At first it seemed like it was only the annoying little sardines that were going to be biting, and then Elena almost caught one. About 2 minutes later, I got a bite and managed to hook it! I pulled it out and it was a beautiful yellow piranha! After the compulsory photo taking, Nelson gave us a good show of its teeth and then got the hook wriggled out. In the end we managed 5 fish that we would give to the people who live and work on the coffee farm. Apparently the meat is very delicious, but there is not much of it, as they are mostly all bones...and gnarly teeth!

Such amazing views and reflections...
a nice place to be to reflect on life

After our brief stop to do a little fishing we carried on down the river and were shortly treated to a red Howler monkey sighting high in the trees just on the edge of the river! A couple of much too short hours later, we arrived back in Rurrenabaque to the completing of our jungle adventure.

Elena and I met up for dinner and decided to go back to Moskitos for dinner since my steak was so good the time before. I should have known that it’s a roll of the dice to try for 2x of greatness! My steak tasted distinctly like dish soap, which was both off putting for taste and to think of why it might taste of soap and what it would do to my tummy! C’est la vie, we’ll see!

Hello pilots, do you need any help flying the plane??
Thursday May 9, 2013: Rurrenabaque/La Paz (Amazonas)
I was up early to eat breakfast and catch my 9:00 a.m. flight back to La Paz, unfortunately with a nasty case of the runs!  Who knows if it was from the steak or what, but it wasn’t good!!

I got my 10Bs moto taxi ride to the littlest airport ever, paid my airport tax and my tourist leaving tax and then waited for our tiny plane to arrive! I had seat 1C, so I got to practically sit with the pilots the whole flight since there was no divider between them and us on our “huge” 21 passenger prop plane. At 1 point half-way through the flight, the pilot turned around and gave me a thumbs up and a smile! haha :)  To go from 500 m in elevation up and over the Andes in such a short flight, you basically just climb, climb, climb, pass through the Andes and then drop down and land in La Paz, crazy!!

Apparently my blood was quite tasty!
I was back to the hotel by 10:00 and talked them into a lower price with the plan of finding somewhere cheaper for the next day! I sort of hung low with a visit to the pharmacist for cortisone cream (I had 164 sand fly and mosquito bites!!), anti-histamine for the welts and something for the dodgy stomach! I had a nice lunch, started working on writing a business plan and booked a trip to see the Tihuanacan ruins just west of La Paz.

Drinking, dancing, singing parade...just because it was Thursday??

That night at ~9:00, there was a huge celebratory procession down Illampu Street (the street in front of my hotel). There were rows of 5-6 people wide, groups of men and then groups of Cholitas in their fancy, shiny dresses, rather than their normal brightly coloured outfits, dancing and singing in unison, parading down the street. The paraders were followed by a marching band, providing the accompaniment for the singing and dancing. This was followed up with a lovely fireworks display about  20 minutes later. Nobody could tell me what the celebration was all about! Who knows?!?!

No comments: