Sunday, July 14, 2013

Solo South American Adventure: Part 3

Home of ruins much older than Machu Picchu
Friday May 10, 2013: La Paz/Tiahuanaco Ruins

I was up early so I could get breakfast before leaving on my day tour to the ancient Tiahuanacan Ruins. It was about a 1.5 hr drive northwest of La Paz to get to the ruins. It was very interesting to see some of the very rural and very poor villages that dotted the top of the very high altitude (more than 13,000 feet) plateau (altoplano) to the west of La Paz. It really was a barren landscape, maybe similar to some of the barren areas of Wyoming or Kosovo. In fact, a lot of La Paz reminds me a lot of Prishtina and the surrounding areas. There are a lot of concrete buildings that are only partially finished, or the 2nd or 3rd floors might be completely unfinished so they just look like ghost structures, just like it was in Kosovo.

Many ruins are in poor condition due to
looting and amateur archaeology.
We arrived at the ruins and started with a poorly organized museum tour to see some of the pottery pieces that have been unearthed from the civilization. Basically, the Tiahuanacan people were around from ~1500 B.C. to 1500 A.D. This site, which is very close to Lake Titicaca (relatively) was thought to be the center of the civilization. So far, they don’t know that much about the civilization or why it suddenly declined. Some people believe that they were conquered by the Incas.

Sun gate
The highlights of the ruins for me were the sun “doorways” which served as season telling calendars. They were designed so that the sun pathway came through at 45º or 90º depending on whether it was the summer/winter solstice or the spring/autumn equinox. There were also some cool idolic statues that have been discovered, but some of the remaining ruins were slightly disappointing because some Bolivian archeologists in the 1950s “recreated” the site with cement mortar, not at all representative of how the amazing structures were actually built. We had an interesting lunch of rice, french fries, cucumbers, carrots, and llama steaks.

An underground facility, presumably for burying the dead
There is still a lot of work to be done at this site,
not much is actually known about these people.
After we returned, I checked into my new, much cheaper 100Bs (~$14.50)/night hotel and then went on a mission to book a trip to bike the World’s Most Dangerous Road, aka The Death Road. The ending of the bike trip was at the animal sanctuary that I was booked in to stay at Sat-Tues, so it was basically the perfect way to get there, albeit more expensive than just taking the bus! ($110 vs. $10)

I ended up chatting at great length with Darren, the office manager at Gravity Bolivia about wanting to start a guiding company and he told me that as luck would have it, the owner of the company, Alistair, would be staying at La Senda Verde (the animal sanctuary) on Saturday night as well and he'd set up a meeting for us to talk...somehow this seemed like the Universe opening a door for me!

Saturday May 11, 2013: La Paz/Death Road/La Senda Verde (Gravity Bolivia, MTBs)
Another early start as it was a 1.5 mile walk to the World’s Most Deadly Road (WMDR) ride pickup spot, which also has breakfast...thankfully! We met up with our guide, Rylan from Nelson, B.C. and loaded up the bus to head up to La Cumbre (4670 meters high) and the start of our bike trip.

Tribute to Pacha Mama before heading
down the World's Most Dangerous Road
After the guides got us all sorted with our kit and bikes, we had a little “how to ride bikes” chat and then blessed our ride by giving thanks to Pacha Mama (Mother Earth) with a little corn alcohol ceremony. We poured a little bit of the alcohol on our front tyre, a little on the ground and then a little in our mouth! Then we were off for the 1st 30 km down the pavement, which was just the warm up for the Death Road! (The road was constructed over about a 20 year period beginning in the 1930s and was constructed by Paraguayan prisoners from the Chaco War.) It was pretty obvious from the very beginning that our group was going to be really spread out!! James from the Midlands and I were quite keen to hold our guides wheel and then a bunch in the middle with 3 girls slower than Christmas off the back!

Looking across to the Death Road
We stopped many times to regroup, go through drug check points and give updates about the next sections of the road. For the most part, the ride was not difficult at all! The hardest part about it was the nervous novice idiots from all of the other riding companies that you had to weave your way around with a 100-200 meter drop off cliff on the left the whole way! Being able to stick right on Rylan’s wheel most of the time actually made the ride entertaining and FAST, so it wasn’t boring and the views were spectacular! There was 1 corner where apparently in the 1940’s, there were 5 different leaders of 5 different political parties vying for power and the leader of 1 of the groups had all of the other leaders kidnapped. They were then taken up the road and at one of the corners with an exceptionally large and sheer drop, they were all tossed over the edge! That’s 1 way to guarantee that you’ll be in charge!!

Throughout the trip there were these horribly annoying Israeli guys who wouldn’t listen to anything Rylan was saying. They were making a documentary of their year of travels, so they were always talking on the camera and generally being rude, but then when it came time to start riding, they were both riding with their headphones in the whole time so they couldn’t hear other people or cars trying to pass! They started to piss me off about 5 seconds into the ride, and once we hit the actual dirt on the Death Road, they always insisted on trying to get out and start in front of me, only to be pains in the ass when I would inevitably need to pass them shortly after setting off!

Living on the edge, haha
They had such holier than though attitudes all day, it was really irritating. When we finally got to our final stopping point, Rylan clearly pointed out that there was a truck coming up the road, so to make sure to stay to the left!! Well, just like he had been doing all day, one of the Israeli guys was doing exactly opposite of what Rylan said and was riding really far on the right side and ran straight into the truck! Luckily for all of the people in the truck and unfortunately for the asshole on the bike, nobody was hurt, but the bike was totally destroyed!! Those guys were such idiots!!

Rylan with the carnage from the idiot in
our group who ran into a truck!
Coca-Cola, all the world over
Anyway, we then arrived at La Senda Verde, just outside of the small village of Yolosa, and I was immediately in heaven! It’s a lush green sanctuary with beautiful little cabanas on a small river with a lovely little swimming hole. There are lots of monkeys running around and a ton of noisy, but beautiful macaws. We had a buffet pasta meal and then the rest of the gravity folk headed back to La Paz and I moved into my cabana for the night. I had a pair of very territorial macaws residing at my cabana, 1 sitting (and shitting!) directly over the door and its mate sitting on the chair on the porch. Although they are stunningly beautiful birds, I’ve decided I don’t care much for them! They are so noisy!! One thing that is pretty cool is that their faces go red when they get angry or bothered, though...this happened every time I tried to go in or out of my cabana.

Later that evening, I met up with Alistair (El Jefe), the owner of Gravity Boliva, and we had a really great chat about a lot of things having to do with starting up a MTB guiding company, branding, marketing, etc...It really was fortuitous that I decided to do the ride and to delay my arrival at La Senda Verde by 2 days! Many thanks Universe for opening doors for me!

Sunday May 12, 2013: La Senda Verde
I got up in the morning and joined Alistair and Karen (his wife) and the U.S. Embassy crew for breakfast. After that, Lauren, one of the long-term volunteers who had been primarily working as a monkey “mom” gave me a tour of the preserve and told me a lot about the really sad trafficking stories about the animals at the sanctuary. The primary animals are at the sanctuary are monkeys and macaws with several parrots, parakeets, and 1 toucan. There are also a lot of turtles and tortoises, 1 caiman, and 2 endangered Andean Spectacled Bears.

Nina, coyly posing for the camera
I think that there are 7 different species of monkeys, spider monkeys, red and yellow howler monkeys, capuchins, squirrel monkeys, and maybe 2 others. There are 11 spider monkeys and 7 howler monkeys, and they all definitely have names. Unfortunately right now, the Alpha male Spider monkey had been the dominant leader of the troupe, but since spider monkeys and howler monkeys often interact and travel together, when an alpha male Howler arrived, they started fighting, and now the alpha spider monkey as to be caged so that they alpha howler won’t kill it, even though it spends its entire day stalking the cage! 


A curious howler monkey 
Anyway, it was pretty cool, when I was getting the monkey portion of the tour, it became really clear how smart the monkeys are and how much they recognize people, as they came running up to Lauren when we arrived! 1 spider monkey decided to let me hold it for just a little bit. Their hands, feet, and tails are so strong! It’s really cool, the end of their tails has skin just like a finger, so it actually has a unique “tail print” just like a fingerprint would! It was really nice to chat with Marcelo (Monkey Man, owner and founder of La Senda Verde) for a little bit about the different monkeys, their behaviours and habits, etc... It was amazing to watch him interact with the monkeys! At one point there were at least 3 spider monkeys clinging to and hanging on him!


There is a very elaborate system of volunteers at the sanctuary. The minimum stay is 2 weeks, and you still have to pay to be there, although less than it costs someone like me just to stay, but some people stay for much longer! When an animal is brought to the sanctuary, they first have to go through a quarantine process to make sure they are not sick and then to make sure that they can “play well” with others. These are the animals that the “guests” never see or interact with. It does require a small army of people to feed and clean up after all of these animals (about 350) on a daily basis! One of the very cool volunteer tasks for a “lucky” long term volunteer is getting to be a monkey mom. Basically, sometimes baby monkeys arrive that are too little to just join with the others, and if it is a species that doesn’t have old enough females at the sanctuary to act as a monkey mom, a person has to be the surrogate. It’s pretty much a full time job, you even sleep cuddled up with the monkey to keep them warm. Once the monkey is big enough, they are introduced into the troupe and they start interacting with the others...although sometimes the wrong species! The most recently weaned howler thinks she is a spider monkey!

Beautiful, but more annoying than sandflies! haha
Later in the day, I was again chatting with Marcelo out near the tortoises about how smart they are, and I was treated to a cuddle from a spider monkey and the new baby howler monkey at the same time...one hugging me like a baby and one sitting on my head!  How very, very cool! I had never realized just how amazing these little creatures are!!

Monday May 13, 2013: La Senda Verde
It’s really nice to just wake up because the sounds of the cloud forest are becoming active and are beginning to wake you up! Yesterday I moved into the tree house...pretty much half of the reason for me wanting to come here! It’s very basic with two mattresses on the floor and a loft with two more, but it is so very cool! It’s like being a little kid again!!  You have to walk across a suspension bridge to get to it and then you’re high above almost everything at the sanctuary. I slept really well and am not looking forward to heading back to La Paz tomorrow!


The treehouse...getting to feel like a
little kid again for a few days. :)
I tried to go see one of the bears during the bear feeding this morning but he never showed up. L Maybe tomorrow.  It’s been really nice to be here without any objective and without having to travel imminently! I sat on the tree house balcony watching the monkeys swing around in the trees at the same height, pretty cool. I had 1 little visitor who decided to nap on the suspension bridge for about 45 minutes. I sat with her for about 10 minutes, but she never wanted to come over for a cuddle. 

A napping visitor on the wobbly
suspension bridge leading to the treehouse
I joined Lauren, who was leaving today and was very sad to be saying goodbye to her “baby” howler monkey and watched the spider monkeys and howlers be so playful and mischievous for about an hour. They are so damn cute, I could watch them all day long!

After that, I decided to walk into Yolosa (the nearest village) and go do the zipline: 1.7 km spread out over 3 sections with a max speed of 85 km/hr (53 mph)! It was pretty expensive (220Bs/$30), but it was a pretty awesome experience. I decided to go Superman style, which is basically like flying over the jungle like a bird, well worth £20! On my way to and from Yolosa, I was enamoured with the # of mariposas (butterflies) that there were!! Butterflies were 1 of the things that I was most excited about seeing when I got here, and I have been treated to some absolutely stunning varieties! Unfortunately, they are damn hard to take pictures of!!

I headed back to the sanctuary to cool off and go for a swim in the river. Before I headed down to the river, I decided to read a little on my balcony and was treated to an unexpected visit from one of the spider monkeys. It was really funny because she came over to me, and I thought she might crawl up for a cuddle, but instead, she wrapped herself completely, almost painfully around my leg and foot. I kept trying to get her to sit in my lap, but she just wanted to hug my leg! Every time someone would walk by below, she would run off and then come back and begin to clutch my leg again. It was really bizarre, she was holding onto my leg so tightly, almost as if she was scared. After awhile, she left, and I decided to go for a very refreshing swim in the river. On my way down, I got another cuddle from one of the spider monkeys who had been the object of some of the WMDR riders attention.  Spider monkeys are unique, as they only have 4 fingers and no opposable thumbs on their hands. It’s amazing how dexterous they are even without the thumb!

No thumbs for the spider monkeys...
allows for more agile tree swinging.
Such delicate, lovely hands and feet
Man, did the swim in the river ever feel good. It was a bit chilly but much invited with the jungle heat and humidity! There is gold in the river that we swim in, so I definitely did a little “hand panning” with handfuls of pebbles as I swam...no luck, though!

In my opinion, the worst time of day here is the last hour before dark, as the birds go absolutely mental, and they are so loud and obnoxious. Like I said before, I’m very over the macaws! Haha They rival the horn honking in the city for annoying level! At least they shut up when it gets dark, I suppose.

Tuesday May 14, 2013: La Senda Verde/Death Road/ La Paz (Gravity Bolivia ride)
Today is my last day at La Senda Verde, so I’m hoping to make the most of it before hitching a ride back to La Paz with Gravity when they get here. I was up and at it and at breakfast for 8:30, as I was asked to be by Gavin, the head cook, so I could let the volunteers know that I wanted to go on the bear tour. As soon as I walk in the door he says, “You’ll have to wait for your breakfast!” If this place wants to actually make money off of people staying here, Gavin, specifically, needs to work on his customer service. Also, he’s from South Africa and super racist, which I don’t ever appreciate! Anyway...I finished up with breakfast and was excited to go see Aruma, the male Andean Spectecaled Bear, but...once again, I was thwarted. Oh well, it’s not a zoo, so I don’t mind, too much!

I went back and was sitting outside of the dining area when several monkeys came to sit in my lap, including Canola, the newly weaned howler who they are trying to convince that she is a monkey and not a human. Anyway, 1 of the volunteers came running out, freaking out that she was in my lap and took her back to the monkey area near Marcelo’s house. Meanwhile, I decided to go organize my stuff a bit and to read my book on the balcony of the tree house. Since the tree house is connected to the walking path via the suspension bridge, you know when anyone, or anything is crossing the bridge. I was sat reading my book when the whole tree house started shaking, so I thought someone was coming to tell me I needed to get my stuff checked out, but the next thing that I knew, a bunch of monkeys were coming round the corner to come hang out on the balcony! There were 4 spider monkeys and 4 howler monkeys. I had interacted with the spider monkeys quite a bit, but I was a little bit nervous about the howlers as I hadn’t interacted with them at all, really. I decided just to sit still and see what they were all about. They seem to enjoy crawling all over you, grabbing your hands and fingers, preening your hang nails for you and nibbling on things here and there and generally just molesting you a bit, haha! At one point, 2 of the larger howlers (very large cat sized) both decided that they wanted to nap in my lap, so I thought, why not?!?


So much fun to cuddle with this one for a couple of hours.
Unfortunately my bum was falling asleep nearly from the get go, as the balcony bench was less than comfortable! As the monkeys “settled in” for their morning nap, there ended up being a pile of 3 howlers (1 baby) and 3 spiders in the far corner of the deck (~5ftx3ft) and 1 beautiful howler sleeping on my lap like a cuddly kitty! The howlers fur is actually pretty soft and it was nice to just sit there and pet it whilst it took a nap. After awhile, my favourite and a very cheeky and often naughty spider monkey decided that she wanted in on a little bit of the cuddling action! She was so cute, she found some room on my lap next to the howler and then faced her tummy outwards and reached her arms up and around my neck to give me a backwards hug!

Such cuties...one of the highlights of my trip!
Although I was meant to “move out” of the tree house by noon, I couldn’t possibly leave this little bit of paradise cuddling with the monkeys, so I ended up sitting and enjoying the moment, albeit with a completely numb ass, for 2.5 hours!  At one point even 1 of the ADHD beautiful little squirrel monkeys decided to come check out the party, and at one point it ran across my shoulder and lap, but it didn’t stick around long enough for a cuddle, just long enough for a couple of photos. After awhile, I needed to pack up and their 2.5 hr nap was coming to an end, they woke up, started grooming each other and eventually jumped off into the trees to go frollick and be mischievous little monkeys! Honestly, those 2.5 hours were 1 of the coolest experiences I’ve had in my whole life! J After that, I moved out of the tree house and sat and watched the monkeys playing in the trees whilst I waited for Gravity to arrive for my unfortunate departure back to La Paz. I did get a few more cuddles since the monkeys often hang around the dining building during lunchtime. In fact, 1 of the baby howler’s was being cheeky and playful and ultimately bit me (playfully) on my forearm, but it still hurt like hell and left a bruise for several days!


Gravity Boliva finally arrived, and I stuffed as much food from the buffet in my face as I could, as I wasn’t planning to eat dinner in La Paz when we got back. ~3:00 we headed off for the 3.4-4 hr bus ride back up the Death Road. Apparently driving up the road is the safer travel option, as the traffic drives “UK style” on the road so that the downhill driver can see just how many inches they are away from the plummeting cliff on their left! We stopped a couple of times to take some photos and Steve (dread locked Gravity guide) told us that the road was built in 1908 (actually 1930s) by the Paraguayan prisoner’s of war. In the 20 years it took them to build the road, I would imagine that the death toll was pretty high! When we got back, I literally ran up the hill to see if Malena, my favourite tour/transportation coordinator was still there to book me onto the tourist bus to Copocabana for the next morning...she was! Yea!! Only 1 more night feeling like I was in “city prison” in La Paz. It was time to start making my way to Peru.

No comments: