Thursday, May 17, 2007

Inspiration


A couple of years ago I was cycle touring in New Zealand and I met this guy named Don. He has his PhD in Astrophysics and now just plans his next bike riding adventure while still in the midst of the current one. I ended up riding with him for a couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed his company while only having to slow my pace down ever so slightly. Don is now in his early 70s and has ridden his bike in more countries than I can even begin to think of. He keeps everyone updated about this travels with witty, dry humored "track" reports. I hadn't gotten an email from him in nearly 1.5 years, and I became very worried that maybe his health had failed him or something like that. Much to my delight, a couple of weeks ago, I got the newest installment of emails from him chronicling his cycle touring trip in Germany and Czecho. He has a newly installed titanium hip that's helping him get around the country side over there. I only hope to still be in love with and able to ride my bike when I am his age!

The other thing that getting his email reminded me of is how little importance I place on people's ages. I have friends whose ages span nearly 3/4 of a century, apparently. I think that if you get a long with someone and they make you smile, who cares how old they are?!? Sorry, I think I'm just having issues with turning 30 this Sunday. Most of my friends are younger than me and the "old" comments have been out in full force lately. Normally I don't really care, but lately it's started to bug me. Oh well. When I was 20 I was too busy trying to act all grown up and 30. Now that I'm almost 30, I'd rather not act "all grown" up but just enjoy life for what it is and have fun with my friends, however old they might be. :)

No comments: