Monday, February 20, 2006

The Temps are Rising, Now the Snow Needs to Melt!

It's sort of funny how you get used to things being a certain way, and then when they absolutely can't be that way...It sort of sucks! Now that statement could be said for and applied to a lot of things, but most specifically, it applies to me getting to ride my bike almost every day that I have wanted to (which is almost every day) for the past couple of months, and that was just not possible at the end of last week and all weekend. I'll ride when it's cold, but single digits is too much, or too little, I guess. Also, the unmelting blanket of white stuff on the ground would have prevented any sort of riding mission anyway.

Well, what does one do when they can't ride their bike you might ask? Well, I went skate skiing a couple of days in North Boulder Park because it's close and pretty much flat, which is nice. It's been over a year since I've been on the super skinny slippery skis, and it showed! Now, I was no phenom the last time I went skate skiing, but I was getting a descent amount of glide on each ski and had descent balance. Well, not on Thursday. Skate ski poles come up to your chin, and while very necessary can also get in the way. Ultimately, if I stop thinking about what I am doing, disaster ensues. My fabulous display of lack-of-skill happened when I accidently planted my pole inside of my ski instead of on the outside. It didn't stop my forward motion, so I ran into the pole and ultimately landed flat on my face in the snow. It was pretty embarrasing, especially since 5 "pace line" pros were about 15 feet behind me. I'm glad that I can provide comic relief for the really talented kids! Luckily, I didn't snap my pole in half. That would have really sucked!

The other thing I have been doing to keep myself from going stir crazy is swimming. Now, I have spent a fair bit of time in the pool growing up on the swim team and all, but ever since my freshman year in high school, I have been on the less is more plan with swimming. Well, I hate to say it, but I actually enjoyed the couple of miles that I swam last week, so much so that I was worried that if it didn't warm up soon so I could start dirt jumping again, I might convince myself, again, that triathlons would be fun! Luckily the temperature got to 40ยบ today, the snow is melting, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last tri I did! Let it melt, let it melt, let it melt!!!

Build and ride session at Darner's this weekend! I can't wait. I love that place. Some places just have good vibes, and that's definitley one that does for me!

No comments: