Wednesday, March 21, 2012

11 Outta 27 Hours Underground!

Almost a bit of a shame to spend a day this
beautiful underground...Saturday's
cave was under the hillside.
Last weekend I joined the caving club for a trip to Castleton, in the Peak District in Derbyshire. On Saturday, I was lucky enough to get to go on my first SRT (single rope technique) trip! We descended down into a cave over 300 feet over several pitches with many re-belays and diversions! It was an amazing adventure of being underground for over 7 hours! I learned so much and now feel super confident with my ascending and descending SRT skills!

On the way down...the easy part of the day.
Back to the light of day...still smiling! :)

On Sunday, we had a permit to go caving in Peak Cavern, which is a show cave for tourists, but it has lots of caving to be explored well beyond the reaches of the tourists. It did mean that we had to setoff early, before the tourists arrived, which was a bit difficult after St. Paddy's Day celebrations on Saturday night! We made our way into Moss Cavern, which is named after a guy who became entrapped in a side passage off of the main cavern and is still buried there! (yes, a little creepy) The main chamber is beautiful with a 30+ foot high calcite flowstone, but it was definitely hard work to get to see it! The trip involved a lot of crawling or "slithering" at points with a few hairy maneuvers required to get through. I definitely felt like I should go on a diet after that trip! haha

Probably the "biggest" part of the crawling section!

My friend Minttu sitting up for a break

A bit hard to see the amazing
flowstone behind me
Connecting up with the GUPA caving crew here in Glasgow was definitely a bit random, but I've gotten to go on some really cool trips and have met some really cool people as a result...SUCCESS! :)

No comments: