Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Exploring Scotland: Castles and Coasts

Mmmmmm...yum!
One of the best things about moving somewhere new is that no matter how close or far you go from home, for at least a little while, you’ll always be exploring somewhere new! J  I have spent a considerate amount if time in Scotland over the past 5 years, so it has been my goal to try and explore in places that I haven’t already spent a lot of time at! Get out of that comfort zone!! Haha

On Friday night, the weather forecast didn’t look so great for Saturday, so I decided to have a cheeky lie in and catch up on some sleep. I woke up to sunny blue skies, so I quickly scrambled out of bed and decided to head out to the coast. On the way there the weather turned to the forecasted weather and I seriously contemplated turning round and just making it a Saturday sightseeing drive, but I decided to carry on and at least see how the weather was where I had intended to go walking anyway...it was sunny! J

Sheeting it down!

5 miles further along...gorgeous!
I had a lovely, albeit flat, walk around the coastline finding some amazing seashells along the way.  The wind was a bit unpleasant, but other than that, I had a wonderful afternoon...with the only thing missing being my Antarctica residing boyfriend, Tim!

MTB ride finished up the castle lane!

Amazing what and how things grow with so much rain!
Sundays forecast was meant to be a bit nicer, so I decided to go to Drumlanrig Castle to do a bit of MTBing. While these trails aren’t officially part of the 7stanes trail centres, they’re smack dab in the middle of several of the Scottish Borders trail centers, so I was excited to see what they had to offer. Whilst several of my friends were racing around sandy, cactus strewn trails and battling through the night in the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo in Tucson, Arizona, I decided to find balance in the MTB cosmos and ride wet, muddy, rooted twisty turny trails...all widing about a cool castle! J The trails were great fun, full of roots, mud, turns, and amazing moss strewn trees. I certainly was not disappointed! I’m not sure when I’ll be back to the trails, though, as there are so many other places in that area that I want to explore!
Classic Scottish hillside...always dotted with sheep

No comments: