Sunday, December 03, 2006

Expectations, Or Rather No Expectations

I had a really nice dinner with my friend Tawnya last night. She has been traveling since July of '05. Along the way she has met a lot of interesting people, some touched her heart more so than others, but ultimately, her travels have given her a lot of insight and clarity about life in general. One thing that we talked about last night was expectations. So many people depend heavily on expectations: expectations about what they think they should do , what they think other people should do, how they think things should go...In the end, when you have expectations, whether they're good or bad, thing usually fall short. We spent a lot of time talking about how if you don't have expectations for a situation or for people and you just go with it, in the end the outcome is generally a lot better because you haven't set it up to be something that it ultimately wasn't.

This is something that has taken me a really long time to understand and figure out, but I think that I've been a lot happier ever since I've tried to remember that developing expectations for something or someone only sets you up to be disappointed! Enjoy life for what it is, it's a lot more fun that way!

Well, anyway, we had a really nice dinner sharing a lot of ideas about a lot of things in life. Seeing the world through different eyes has really had a huge impact on Tawnya, and I'm glad I got to hear about her ideas and thoughts on life and the many different ways to live it!

No comments: