Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Surreal


We have some really nice sunsets (and sunrises, I'm just not usually up early enough to see them!) here in Colorado, but last night the colors of the clouds juxtaposed with the moon were really surreal. It was pretty cool, except that I was just leaving school when I happened to see it. :( The picture doesn't do it justice!

Also surreal was my good friend Jon's description of his adventures on a nuclear submarine this summer. He is in Navy ROTC, so he did his summer cruise this summer. He spent 39 days on a nuclear sub, and his description of what it was like was crazy. He said the air on a sub generally smells like amines mixed with ozone. Amines are similar to ammonia for those of you who hated chemistry, and ozone has a strange smell as well. He said that after awhile you don't notice the smell...ummm, probably not very good for the health of the sailors!!! There were many other stories that make me question his sanity for signing up for that, but I'm sure many of them are classified, so I shouldn't share them...haha, j/k!

Jon Topside in the Panama Canal

No comments: