Wednesday, July 29, 2009

On to Bromont

It's hard to get a good picture of the waterfall. Believe me, though. It's impressive!

Melissa and I headed out of Mont Sainte Anne to Bromont. Along the way we stopped at the highest waterfall in Canada (not the BIGGEST, that'd be Niagra, but it's the highest). It's just outside of Quebec City, and it's pretty impressive!

From there we headed to our friend's house in Bromont..."The Paradise B&B". This is what we named their amazing house on Mount Brome. They are wonderful hosts with a house that made it really nice to "come home" after practice and racing!

Ahh, heavenly!

One of the best parts of Bromont is the Musee du Chocalat! I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate, but this place not only has amazing chocolate, it has wonderful and pretty darn inexpensive food! We ate there three times. haha :)

Cool Jenga-like Building in Montreal

Old Town Montreal...sometimes I wish I could just lie down in the middle of the street and throw a tantrum, haha!

We all headed into Montreal for dinner one night and Gab and Claudine gave us the short version of the grand tour of the city. It's a cool place! Apparently the night life is awesome, so we'll have to go back some time when we can actually check it out!

I was having a really bad week with some personal stuff at the beginning of the week and just couldn't get my head on straight to ride my bike. After walking the DH course and realizing that I didn't remember half of what I'd just walked down because I was thinking of other things, I decided it would be in my best interest to NOT race down the gnarly off camber rock slab course, especially since it was forecasted to rain, a lot!

The 4x track in Bromont is super fun and really long! The first straight is FAST!! It seems like this is the moral of all of my stories, but I didn't have a good qualifier...gonna work on this for World's, for sure!!! I ended up with Melissa, Mio, and Joanna in the first heat. Jo got a good gate and pushed me way far to the left on the track, leaving me with little in the way of options. Coming into the rock garden, I found myself in no mans land where I had never ridden before...and for good reason! The rocks were HUGE! After that mishap, I was way behind and just finished out the heat and went on to cheering. The highlight of the 4x racing that evening was the young American National Champ, Mitch Ropelato! I've gotten to know this kid fairly well at the races this summer, and he's not only a super talented, fast ripper, but he's a super nice kid, too! It's gonna be a lot of fun to watch him race 4x and DH at World Champs!!

After the racing was over, we all washed the mud out of our hair and got a bit dolled up and headed to the party with the hopes that it would be better than it had been the year before! It didn't disappoint! There was a lot of dancing, some beer drinking, some French-German lessons (haha), and a lost driver's license (well, stolen, actually, but that's just semantics when you don't have it the next day!). Good times, good times!

No comments: