Tuesday, July 21, 2009

US National Champs

Ummmmm, this sign was on the course well after the 50 foot gap jump...maybe they need to order some more signs! haha

The National Champs ended up being pretty disappointing for me. My tailbone was still pretty unstable and healing up, but I decided to race anyway. It's not very often that the National Champs race is only 2.5 hours away!

I headed up to Sol Vista on Wednesday afternoon to get some course walks in before practice started on Thursday. The DH track was fresh cut...not even cut in some spots. There were huge doubles at the end of the course that used up a lot of valuable elevation real estate. The 4x track was pretty long and was raw! I'm not even going to go into the "Pro" start gate/first straight, as once I got there I saw it and instantly realized that it was dumb. I'm not trying to take the piss at the Sol Vista boys for their effort in progressing the sport, but it is 4x racing, and whether they like it or not, gate starts are and should have an importance in the race. A good course is one that is designed in such a way that just because you have a good gate start, it doesn't guarantee that you'll win the race.

Anyway...I rode pretty tenatively all weekend, and it showed! :( I qualified really poorly for 4x but then I had some really good gates and was riding really well until Jackie jumped into me on a section of the course that was only wide enough for 1 person, not too. We both went down, and my bike was pretty well jacked when I got up and tried to ride it after all of that. Bummer. DH was fun to ride, but I had no intentions of doing the big jumps...wasn't feeling it, so that pretty much wrote me out of the equation to do well. I ended up crashing and breaking my brake in the finals for a DNF. I hate DNFing!

That's all.

No comments: