Friday, July 10, 2009

There and Back Again

Well, I returned to Boulder, albeit an hour after we were supposed to get here, via British Airways on Tuesday evening. I've never had such a lucky check-in experience as I did at the London Heathrow airport. My friend Bernard dropped me off with all of my stuff, after I spent the whole morning complaining about how I couldn't get to all fit into my bags and boxes (got it all to fit in the end!) and that I was going to get charged so much in excess baggage fees (both bags were at least 27 kgs and I had two bikes, neither of which were 23 kgs, either). I'm not going to lie, I did do a quick sweep of my options of people to check-in with, and the guy I chose did look like the one to be most easily charmed with a big smile! haha I rolled up to his counter with the biggest smile I could muster and was as polite as I could be. In the end, I didn't pay for anything that was overweight, nor did I pay for either of my bikes! Not bad, not bad. It gets better though! I mention to the guy about my sore bum and that I've gotten stuck with a middle seat, and I wonder if he could possibly find me a window seat for the 10 hour flight home. He says he'll see what he can do, but the flight is full, so no promises. In the end, the guy got me upgraded to business class, and when I got on the plane a family wanted to all be next to each other, so I got the window seat that I wanted, too! It was a good day at the airport. I haven't been able to say that very many times!! :)

I've been back for a couple of days now (actually wish I'd never left, though!!), and I'm just trying to get my life all sorted out with school stuff, bike stuff (new hardtail arrived in my absence...more on that soon. it's sweet!), new tyre sponsor, going to Dr's to figure out my broken bum and whether I can race next week, etc...Not a lot to write home about, but I'll have a couple of updates in the near future!

No comments: