Wednesday, July 12, 2006

No Gate Practice But Fun Riding At the BMX Track Anyway

Tonight they canceled gate practice at the BMX track because some wicked rain storms last weekend left the track in a little bit of a mucked up condition. (We thought it looked stellar compared to some of the MX tracks that we ride, but who are we to argue?) It was a lot of fun anyway. I got to spend the evening riding with Jared Graves and Justin Leov of the Factory Yeti team. They are both really smooth and fun to watch ride, but Jared especially was just killing it. He was pulling stuff out that I haven't seen anyone do there! It was awesome to watch. I finally bucked up and started jumping some of the stuff there. I guess I'm always too worried about getting a bunch of gates in to think about the rest of the track. Duhhh!

After 1.5 hours of riding, Jared, Justin, Tori (Justin's awesome girlfriend), and I just sat and talked and watched all of the little BMX rippers riding the track. The Yeti boys were telling me all about their urban DH race adventure in Portugal. It sounds crazy and completely amazing all at the same time. It's an invitation only, have almost everything paid for race. It sounds really cool!

So, almost every weekend I go to a DH race at some ski resort somewhere in the country. It's about a 5:1 or 6:1 guy to girl ratio at all of the races (at least with the actual racers). As a result I get to hang out with a lot of very talented and often very hot boys. I've grown to learn, unfortunately, that a lot of these boys place no value on a committed relationship with their girlfriend and have no qualms about hooking up with whatever cute girl might be at whatever race they are at. Not so much boyfriend quality, for sure. Tonight, though, hanging out with Jared and Justin restored my faith that not all DH boys are like that. Justin's awesome girlfriend is here visiting right now, and they are so cute together. He's clearly happy to have her here supporting his racing, and if you get Jared talking about his girlfriend, it's pretty evident that he is very proud of her, misses her, and cares a lot about her! I guess if you're on the road all summer long, it would be pretty easy to just hook up with whomever, whenever. It was nice to get to see first hand that that's not always the case.

Wow, sorry for the sidetracked relationship snipet, I'm sure that nobody cares to read about the morality or lack thereof of the boys on the DH racing scene! I had to get that off my chest, though, it's been bugging me for awhile!

Off to bed, and hopefully to sleep soon...Mtn Dew Amp energy drinks were 3 for $5 for the 16 oz cans. This seems like a really good deal, but man, I don't think I really need to drink 16 oz of energy drink, EVER! I'm not tired and it's 12:30...Ughhhhh! :)

No comments: