Sunday, July 23, 2006

So Strong

So, today I headed up to DIA to meet my friend Kristen when she got off the CME shuttle from Aspen. A week ago today she compound fractured both her tibia and fibula in the middle of her shin in the MX race at Snowmass. Although I didn't see it when it happened, I almost made myself sick talking to her about the bone sticking out of her skin today. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing she is. She drove all the way up here from Austin, TX to do the race, and ended up spending the week in the hospital in Aspen, where she doesn't know a soul. She is such a vibrant, energetic person, she made friends in no time! I would have been scared out of my mind!! Luckily, there were cute EMT's to rescue her from the scene (or so she keeps telling me)! :) She got out of the shuttle van today pretty much rock star style on her crutches, even though this was her first day on them. For those of you who have never been on crutches before, they're not as easy as seasoned vets make them look! They require a pretty rough break in period that is often peppered with a desire to put your injured limb on the ground, due to habit, even though the throbbing pain is telling you otherwise!!

We spent about an hour and a half hanging out at one of the airport's super fine dining establishments. It was really good to get to hang out with her and spend a little bit of time with her before she headed back thttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.spell.gifo TX. One of the girls that races with her knows someone who works for Frontier, so she got her hooked up with a sweet $25 buddy pass! She's got some healing a recovering to do, but I KNOW that she will be back out racing with us before no time because the girl LOVES to ride her bike!

Kdawg Rippin on Her Track in Austin

Get Well Kristen, I can't wait to ride with you again really soon!!

No comments: