Friday, July 18, 2008

USA Cycling Elections


I am currently running for a mountain biking Trustee position with USA Cycling. There are three of us running for the Trustee positions, and I believe we'll all get nominated, however the one of us that receives the most votes will also be elected to serve on the USA Cycling Board of Directors.

I feel like the state of mountain bike racing, especially gravity racing, here in the US is in quite a state of disrepair. Something needs to change, and I'm really hoping that I get elected to the Board of Directors so I can help to change things.

The little write up that I had to do for the election website is below. If you've got an annual USA Cycling license, please go to their website, log in to your online account, and VOTE FOR ME! :)

Thanks!!!
___________________________________________________________________

Hi, my name is Neven Steinmetz, and I’m interested in becoming the new Gravity NORBA Trustee with USA Cycling. I have been racing gravity events since 2003, having turned Pro in 2006. Throughout this time, I have been involved with bike racing in many different aspects from a sport level racer, to a professional world cup racer, to a race promoter. I have participated in races in many locations throughout the US and Europe, seeing first hand how different promoters, communities, and racers embrace our sport. I think there is a huge potential for the advancement of gravity racing on many different levels here in the US, from a riders standpoint as well as from the standpoints of sponsors and spectators.

When I’m not racing bikes, I am pursuing my PhD in Tissue Engineering. I’m attempting to use stem cells from bone marrow to develop a therapy to generate new cartilage and bone for people with osteoarthritis and damaged joints. I can only hope that none of you will actually need therapy like this when you are done racing and riding, a long, long time in the future!!

I am very excited about the possibility of representing the gravity community as a voice with our licensing governing body. The gravity community as a whole has been growing significantly in the last 5 years with many new people of all ages starting to ride and race. I feel that I would be a very good representative for voicing our accolades as well as our concerns with the state of gravity mountain biking in the US. I know that I am not alone when I say that I have had several periods of frustration with different aspects of our sport/racing over the past several years, and I want to be able to help the sport take a step in a positive direction for everyone who enjoys the gravity side of mountain biking! This sport has so much to offer everyone involved, so we need to make sure that the future of the sport is open-minded and beneficial for everyone from the Junior Beginner to the fastest Pro on the circuit!

I am very passionate about riding and racing bikes and love helping new people get into this amazing sport. I will represent the gravity community and its best interests the best that I can for the next four years!

Happy Riding!! ☺

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ROCK Neven!!!