Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Una Dia en Barcelona

Barcelona in the background behind me

Melissa, Jaym, and Mott left last night, so I had an adventure in Barcelona today all by my lonesome. Melissa's Aunts set me up with all of the info to get the train from Sitges to Barcelona and then a good "tour of the city" tourist bus that you can get off and on where ever you'd like. Unfortunately, shortly after I got on the tour bus, I realized that my camera was nearly out of battery power, amateur hour for sure!

La Sagrada Familia: it's been under construction for a LONG time...

One of many sculptures on the side of the cathedral

Needless to say, I didn't get too many pictures of anything other than La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell, but in the end those were two of the coolest things that I saw all day.

The park is full of so much cool mosaic artwork and sculptures

The famous lizard/dragon that greets you when you arrive


Several mosaic pieces on the ceiling of one area...there are tons of them!

Plants growing on the top of these rock sculptures

This is a really amazing city. The architecture is truly unique and very beautiful, very gothic. One artist, Antoni Gaudi, had a huge influence on much of the architecture and a lot of the art/statues in this town, and I love his work. If you're the traveling type and ever want an amazing trip to take, I'd recommend Barcelona, but I'd suggest coming with someone special. This place is too beautiful to not share it with someone. That's the only thing I'd change about today!!

P.S. Barcelona has more scooter per capita than any other city in Europe...they're almost like bugs crawling around at rush hour time, it's crazy!

No comments: