Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Day 5+++: MX and the EPIC Drive Home

So Sunday got off to a start with the amateur MX finals. I had qualified second behind one of the two junior BMX rippers that showed up, the other sister qualified third. In the first round I had gate choice and a moto with one of the BMX sisters. I got a bad gate start and wasn't as far ahead of the girl going into the berm as I had hoped. She was on my right side and was leaning on me pretty hard running into the first right hand berm (she'll have to gain about 20 pounds if she wants to push me over in the future!). The course was set up so there were both berm options and inside line options that had either rollers or jump-like features. Well, I could tell the girl wanted to ride the berm, not the rollers on the inside of the turn, so I just held my line, barely to the left of the rollers and set her up to have to ride the rollers. Well, she was going too fast to handle them, apparently, and flew off the course, almost taking me down with her. While I felt bad that she flew off of the course, I was happy that I wouldn't have to contend with sister tag team duo in the finals.

It's Fun to Race When There is Strong Competition!

Unfortunately, the finals didn't go quite how I would have liked. I was really looking for the W, so I could feel completely justified (well, maybe more like satisfied) in upgrading to pro. It wasn't in the cards for me that day. I had a great strategy for how to handle the other BMX sister in the first berm, but I didn't even get to try it out. After a much better gate start, a combination of catching a little air and shifting at apparently the wrong time caused me to pull my foot out of my pedal and nearly go over the handlebars. I was so convinced I was going over that I was eyeing where my face was about to land on the ground. Miraculously my fork rebounded and I didn't stack it up. By the time I got myself back together, though, she was off the front and I had no chance of catching her. Somehow, the other two girls in the final didn't pass me, not quite sure how that worked, but oh well, second isn't too bad, I guess.

It was a lot of fun to watch the Pro MX race, even though it started raining. There are always so many ways to ride the course that I never think of. I learn so much from watching them. Unfortunately I missed my MX podium because I was watching the Pro race. Idiots! Oh well, it was way more valuable to watch and learn that it was to stand on the podium. I know some would argue, but that's my take on it!

Are you Kidding?


Kevin Giddy About How Much Lighter His Pockets Are After Buying the Last Tank of Gas!



Once the racing ended, the fun REALLY got started. Our 5 person drive down turned unto 7 on the way home. Natasha and TJ didn't want to stick around for the Yeti get home a lot later program, so they came home with us. We tore down camp, got loaded up and then helped TJ take down the Yeti production so he could come home with us. We got all 7 stinky people (some more than others) loaded up and were on our way. The trip got off to a good start, seemingly, as we made a brief stop for some much needed In-N-Out and then got back on the road. I'm not quite sure where it all went so wrong, but between a certain factory Yeti rider missing the turn to I-70 and running out of gas, the trip home ended up being 27 hours as well...Ughhhh! We rolled into Boulder about 11:00 (p.m.) on Monday. Just in time for a shower and bed!

Overall I had a TON of fun at Sea Otter. It was really good to see people that I haven't seen since the end of last summer, and the just the whole racing scene and energy was awesome! I've decided to upgrade to Pro, for MX/DS at least so hopefully there will be fewer complainy blogs about the ridiculous practice scenarios at the National events! I am REALLY excited to step up the racing. I have been working really hard to improve my skills and fitness over the winter, so I can't wait for the season to really get under way!

On a final note, I just want to say how psyched I was that Bobbi, TJ, and Cole had such great races at Sea Otter. They are all such great people who train and focus religiously and just plain old love to ride their bikes! I can't wait to watch the Colorado crew rip it up all summer long!!

No comments: