Sunday, April 02, 2006

'06 Race Season Off to a Great Start!

Today got off to an early start, but it was well worth it. I rolled over and picked up Kevin at 6:00 in the a.m. to head down to Nathrop for the first race of the season. It was only a local spring series mountain cross race, but it was on my favorite course, and I have ridden in quite a bit this fall and winter, so I was pretty psyched to finally get to race it. It was really windy, which sucked, but there was a pretty good turn out anyway. I was pretty psyched to get to race Bobbi Watt. She is so fast! She was looking good in practice, but then decided not to race as she was still feeling run down from a cold and didn't want to get more sick for Sea Otter. Qualifying was really windy, so I couldn't hit a few things cleanly or some things really at all, but I was really pleased with my time. I was only 4 seconds off of the top pro guys, and the next closest girl was 4 seconds behind me, so that's always good! There were only two of us in the first moto, so I tried to go for everything and take a few chances since it didn't matter in the end, and I crashed. It was a pretty sweet crash at the end of the course. I felt like I was sliding down a playground slide into home base or something. It didn't hurt at all, but I was sure glad I had my elbow pads on! It ended up being a great day for me. I felt like I needed to prove something to someone, not sure who, my teammates, my friends, the other people I race, or maybe just myself. It's been a crazy and amazing off season filled with a lot of hard work, great times, and some really cool friends. I feel like I convinced myself, today, that I really have stepped my riding up, and I know that I'm ready to play!

An another cool note, check out my new helmet:

Thanks TJ, I love my new helmet!

My amazingly talented friend TJ has taken up a new hobby, airbrushing, (because being a pro gravity racer and full time college student doesn't require enough time!!), and he put my name on the back of my helmet for me. I am really psyched about it and think that it looks awesome! He has sweet plans for his helmet, fully custom and has spent many, many hours working on it. Unfortunately the Yeti Nazi =) grabbed too much of his time to build up their new race bikes this weekend, and he wasn't able to get his helmet finished for Sea Otter. However, his new factory team Yeti DJer is absolutely beautiful and soooo light! We all can't wait to see him tear it up on it this season!!

No comments: